The main advantages of Live upgrade is minimizing the downtime and providing the system admin to revert the original OS in case of any patching failure.
In general, the Live Upgrade is briefly categorized as follows
- Create a new boot environment if you haven't already.
- Patch the new boot environment.
- Boot from the new boot environment.
- Check your results for the changes and see if they are acceptable
Following are the steps to perform Solaris Live Upgrade for Patching
Step 1: Verify Live Upgrade packages are installed#pkgchk -v SUNWlucfg SUNWlur SUNWluu
Step 2: Create a current & new boot environment within the same root pool (rpool)
#lucreate -c BE_APP01 -n new new_BE_APP01
Step 3: Verify step 2
Step 4: Apply CPU onto the new boot environment
#cd 10_Recommend#./installpatchset -B new_BE_APP01 --s10patchset
#luactivate -s new_BE_APP01
Step 6: Reboot the server to boot to the new boot environment
#shutdown -i 6 -g 0 -y
Note: Do NOT use any other commands to reboot the server. you must use the above-mentioned command. Be patient, wait at least 5-10mins. if it still does not reboot, kindly type the command "reboot"
Step 7: Verify the status
Post Live Upgrade Procedures
- If there are no problems, you can delete the former boot environment to save disk space by issuing the comman
- For furture patching, you only need to create a new boot environment within the same root pool (rpool), by issuing the command.